Saturday, June 11, 2011

I did it!

Hooray for me! I'm proud of myself for finishing my first half marathon. I trained to run it in 2:07 and I ran it in 2:03 and it felt so great so here is my experience...

I went to bed at 8:30 last night. :) I woke up at 2:30am so I could be to the Provo Mall to get shuttled up to the starting line in Provo Canyon by 4:30. My body does not function well on less than 8 hours of sleep so I was worried about the lack of shut eye and being able to run and race.

Mile 1 I started out nice and slow, which is how I trained.

By mile 2 I was at a 9:30min/mile and feeling great.

Mile 8 came fast and I was sad to be finishing up with the canyon part cause it was so pretty.

Because I felt so great I decided to speed up a little. For the next 3 or so miles I ran at a 9:10min/mile.

At mile 11 I drank some Powerade.. I decided my body doesn't do well with Powerade. I got this really bad pain in my stomach so I slowed down a little.

That last mile was so hard but when I saw that finish line I felt so happy and excited I started to RUN, faster and faster finishing the race with a full on sprint. I was so happy to see my family and Eric. I was done and now I have a medal because I did it in less than 4 hours!
I'm excited for next week now! The Wasatch Back Relay, 199 miles of pure awesomeness and insanity.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like your good preparation really paid off. Even on little sleep and a power ade tummy ache, you did grrreat!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Chessy!I can't wait to do it with you for reals next year. You are my fitness inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONGRATS Chelsea!! Good for you for completely a goal you set. I wanna be like you.

    :)

    ReplyDelete