Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Tuesday Tip :: Winter Running

If you are living in Utah this winter (and many other parts of the western United States) then you are very aware by now that it is cold... like REALLY cold! For the past month my instagram feed has been full of this...

Depressing, I know. I have tried everyday to think happy thoughts about this time of the year so I don't sink into a winter depression and because I'm a wimp in the cold I have had to do most my running indoors on the evil treadmill. If you're super tough and still continue to run outside in the bitter cold here are a few tips I found for staying safe.

--Bundle up!
      Wear clothes that wick away sweat and jackets that are waterproof. Keep your ears and hands covered.

--Stay close to home 
      There may be a greater chance of injury while running in the freezing temperatures so be sure to stay near home or a place you could call home in case of an emergency. Be sure to also tell somebody when you leave, where you're going and when they should expect you home.

--Maintain a steady pace
      Winter running should be more about maintenance rather than intense training. Try to schedule your races in the spring and summer when the weather warms up and you can train more outside.

--If temperatures are below zero, keep your run shorter than 30 minutes.
     Not only is there risk for frostbite or hypothermia but the freezing temperatures leave you feeling numb, which may make you unaware of developing injuries.

--Move to Hawaii :)

Happy Fitnessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment