Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Tuesday Tip :: Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia!



If you haven't already heard about how awesome chia seeds are well let me fill you in... not only can you sprout them in cool shaped pots to resemble animal or human hair. But you can EAT them! They are packed with omega 3's, help to control blood sugar and are easier to digest than flax seeds. Because chia seeds absorb 10 times their weight in liquid you will fill full from just a small amount, helping with weight loss, yay! Check out one of my favorite ways to eat chia...

Chia Cereal
Mix together:
1/4 cup chia seeds
3 tbs buckwheat groats
small handful dried cranberries or goji berries
small handful pumpkin seeds
small handful walnuts or almonds
 1 tbs your favorite sweetened protein powder 
(my favorite one you can find here or here. I like it because it is sweetened with stevia)
Don't mind my nasty tupperware, I like to take this cereal to work. :)
You can serve this warm or cold and in milk or water. If you let the cereal sit for just a few minutes the chia seeds will absorb the liquid and turn into a pudding or paste. You will have to experiment with it to find out what texture you like.

In other news... I am officially in my training period for the Utah Valley Marathon. I can't believe it's 16 weeks away! It seems so soon, yet so far off. This morning I woke up early and hit the treadmill for my "track repeats" (details on this workout to come in another post). It went well! I'm feeling ready and excited to challenge myself and see what I am capable of this year!

Happy Fitnessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment