Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Injured Yogi

I'm currently dealing with a nasty IT band injury. Six weeks ago, after a led primary series class, I was practicing garbha pindasana(a pose I've never been able to fully do with my tight hips) and my ego got in the way, motivating me to force my hands through. "SNAP!" A rush came over my whole body and I knew it wasn't good. The same thing happened on a long run when I was training for my first marathon. It was a tough recovery back then but I healed up and was able to run two marathons a handful of other races within the next couple years.

The past six weeks have been full of all sorts of recovery tactics. The first week was pretty painful. I wasn't able to bend my knee without pain. Walking up stairs was a joke and each morning I'd wake up with a deep aching pain in the outside of my knee. The first couple of weeks after getting this injury I only did some light restorative yoga at home as long as there was no pain. I meditated a lot, took herbs and supplements to support healing as well as foam rolled. The next week I added my yoga practice back in at home and at my local studio's morning Mysore practice, which is something I would like to do everyday, but I also wanna sleep 8-9 hours a night so that makes it a more difficult decision at 6am each morning.

I feel like continuing to practice yoga daily has really helped my recovery. Even though it is frustrating to have to modify a lot of the poses and I still have a ways to go before I'm back to where I was physically, I'm doing much better and feeling stronger than ever!

Just have to be patient and gentle on my body so I can fully recover.

Anyway - that's a little peak into what I've been up to the past lil' while. Hopefully I'll continue to feel motivated to write on here 'cause I like being able to read back and connect with people through here but I'm not making any promises. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment