Sunday, April 8, 2012

16 Miles

I did my long run on Saturday morning. 16 miles. Longest I've ever done so I was nervous about it. Friday night I made sure to go to bed early and I woke up after just over 8 hours of sleep, which is great because sleep is SO IMPORTANT. I could have slept longer but after waking up initially I immediately felt jittery and nervous about 16 miles so couldn't fall back asleep. I felt like it was a race day, that's how nervous I was. SO, I got out of bed, ate half a banana and drank a sip of coconut water. I tried to relax and lay down again but couldn't get my muscles to chill, they wanted to get that long run over with so I decided to just get ready to leave.

About 20 minutes later I was running in the morning light and crisp spring air. Mmmm. As soon as I took those first steps my muscles relaxed and everything felt familiar and comfortable. I was no longer nervous, I could do it, and I was off!

My sister (training for a half marathon) met me after 8 miles and ran the last half with me. Nothing like seeing a excited and familiar face when you are half way into a run and starting to think "8 miles is good enough.. I think I want to be done..." oh wait!... nope gotta run another 8 now that I have a buddy.

Overall the run went well. I felt very accomplished but not totally pleased with my average pace and total time, but oh well, I still burned a whole lotta calories which I was very pleased with.

I still can't believe I will be running 26.2 miles in June. I get that jittery feeling every time I really think about how long that is.


Oh my.

P.S. Bringing dates on my run was perfect! I think I will continue to train with those sweet babies. :)

Happy Fitnessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment