Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Sleep: A Necessity NOT a Luxury.

I always wonder in what ways the lack of sleep really effects my training. I found THIS ARTICLE today which helped put things into perspective. I learned this:

1- Lack of sleep can compromise your immune system, which is already vulnerable when training for a marathon. Getting sick throws of my running schedule so I need to keep that from happening.
2- Sleep deprivation can lead to weight gain.
3- A sleep-deprived person is physically able to run the same distance or lift the same weight, but the mental effects can have consequences. Moodiness or anxiety caused by lack of sleep can cause a run to be even more painful. I know this from experience!
4- Everybody has a different amount of time that their body needs to sleep but the recommended amount is 6+. My goal is 8, sometimes 9 the nights before a race or long run.
5- I need to stop writing this post and go to bed!

***Goodnight!***


Happy Fitnessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment