Sunday, July 15, 2012

What I Eat :: Part 2

What do I eat then?

I eat REAL food. To help me determine what is real, I think of how many steps it took to get that product to what it is. I try to avoid highly processed foods and do my research about ingredients I am questioning. When it really comes down to it though I think it's just about eating what makes you feel your best. For the most part I try to avoid eating a lot of carbs and try to make sure my meals and snacks are well balanced between fats, proteins and carbs. I eat lots of fruits and vegetables but try to stay away from snacking on breads and other high carb foods. Before a long run I will eat pasta and other high carb delights but I really don't see a reason to do so any other time. Some people may think I'm a food snob but I really just appreciate high quality and unique foods. The fact is, when I eat crappy food, I feel like crap and frankly, it's just not worth it.

Of course I am not perfect in any way. It took me years to be able to turn down some foods like that huge chocolate cake from Costco and I still have a hard time with others. I am a very social eater. I love being around people and food. I love to go out to dinner with family and friends but if I am given a choice I always choose places that I know will compliment my diet but there are ways to find healthy alternatives if you're placed in a "crappy" restaurant. I'm still working on knowing what is really best for MY body, especially when it comes to training for races and other workouts. I am open to new ideas of health food and don't think my way is the best and only way. There are so many different opinions on what is healthy and what is not. I try to stay up to date with trends but not get too caught up in then. For me it just makes sense to eat food the way mother nature intended it to be

To focus on the positive, here is a list of some of the foods I eat (rather than foods I avoid):

Fruits and veggies (Organic and preferably local)
Sweeteners like raw local honey, maple syrup, coconut palm sugar, stevia, etc.
Raw dairy products (from a good pasture raised source)
Eggs, raw and cooked ( " " )
Beef (from a pasture raised source)
Chicken (Organically raised with no hormones)
Fermented foods (sauerkraut, kombucha, etc.)
...and many MORE!

There are a few reasons I thought I would share of why I wanted to write this post...
-I thought it would be a good way for me to document where I am right now in my health food journey.
-I wanted to clear the air. A lot of people think I am vegetarian because they hear I am a "healthy eater." I wanted to share that I believe there are many ways to eat healthy and not be vegan or vegetarian.
-I would like to share more about food and recipes I am eating on here and knowing a little of my health food background will help to make sense of why I am eating those things.

Thanks for reading!

Happy Fitnessing!

1 comment:

  1. (chanting) Share recipes! Share recipes! And re-name your blog "food snob". No really, share recipes. I grew up eating cookie dough for breakfast and candy cigarettes for dinner... so I'm new and learning. I'm way interested in other people's healthy food habits (so I can develope my own). Share! Share! Share!

    ReplyDelete