Monday, July 30, 2012

Timpanogos Half Marathon Episode 2

Last year I ran the Timpanogos Half Marathon and beat my time from my first half a month earlier. It was such a great feeling. This year I stepped up the intensity in my workouts and that paid off this past Saturday when I ran the Timp Half. I was able to set a new PR and beat my goal time of 1:55. I finished in 1:54:37 :) Hooray! That is an average of 8:45min/mile. Running and racing is addicting. Now that I know I can run a half in under 1:55, I am thinking I can run my next race in under 1:50. :) My new goal. That means I am going to have to run at a 8:30min/mile or less. I can do it! It really is amazing what you can get your body to do. You just need some practice and training!


Oh yeah, and did I mention that I got to run this race with my sister?! I LOVE running with my best friends! They make it so much more fun. At about mile 5 we hit a pretty steep hill and instead of trying to resist it (which makes my legs cramp up) I just threw my arms up in the air and yelled "WEEE" like I was riding a roller coaster and ran down it faster. Larissa and I just laughed. Haha, it was ridiculous.

I wanted to finish side by side with my sis but at around mile 7 she needed to take a potty break and I couldn't imagine having to increase my time at least 10 minutes just because of how long the line was. Luckily I have a great sister who understood how much I wanted to hit my goal time and was okay with me ditching her. Of course I was there to run with her at the end as she finished. She did great!



Not sure when my next race is but I'm already super excited for it! :)

Happy Fitnessing!

5 comments:

  1. Let me know of any good half marathons coming up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to look into the Nebo half cause I heard that was great. I think it is in sept.

      Delete
  2. That was so fun! Yay for running sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelsea, I live in Payson and run on the treadmill at the gym. I want to start running outdoors but I always get nervous running by myself and I have no one who is willing to run with me. I carry pepper spray (mostly for dogs cause they like to chase me down.) But do yo have any advice on when a really good time of day or place to go running at is in or around Payson? Any advice you give will be great, love your blog by the way it is very encouraging!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica, thanks for reading along! I used to be nervous about running outside by myself. Try to take notice of where you see people running around Payson most and what part of the day. No matter where I have been I find that most people tend to run outside in the mornings between 7-9. Sometimes just passing other runners outside while out on your own run can give you a stronger sense of safety. When I lived down that way I used to run from Elk Ridge to Payson on that Goose Nest road. It was pretty anytime of the day and I used to see other runners on that path. I usually try to bring a cellphone on longer runs. You can to dailymile.com as a way to connect with runners in your area and you can even see their running routes! It's pretty cool. Hope this helps. Good luck! Keep it up!!

      Delete