Monday, October 7, 2013

St. George Marathon :: Pre-Race

First stop when we arrived in St. George was to pick up my packet. I usually like hanging out at the Expo for a little bit but I just was not feeling into it so we were basically in and out.
After snagging a quick picture we were on our way to my brother's house. My brother was actually up in Salt Lake for work so my Sis-in-law and niece were there to greet us. Check out these awesome signs they made! So cool! I was definitely feeling the love. 
Even their fat cat Sherami was there to show his support by lounging on my lugging and stealing sips of water from my cup.

Silly guy. 

Since I had not yet ever seen the marathon course we all piled into the car to drive it together. I got to sit by this cute thing.
I think the drive made Marlee sleepy and delusional because she pulled out her baby pony tail and started eating her shoe!

Haha I was totally distracted by her cuteness, I forgot to pay attention to the road I'd be running the next morning!

Once we got to the cold and windy start line we took a few pics. I loved all the flags! So cool! 
During the drive back Eric and Brooke were making comments like... "This is a long drive!" and "how many miles is this now?" I couldn't help but laugh and think about how crazy it was that I was really gonna run 26.2 miles the next day. 

We had all worked up an appetite during the long drive - it was time for carbs!! I ate Pizza Factory before the Utah Valley Marathon and decided that would be the appropriate choice again. I got the classic pesto angel hair pasta and a bread stick. Not my desired choice on a normal night but I try to avoid dairy and hearty whole wheat pasta the night before a long run or race. 
Eric was nice and slept on a blow up mattress that night and gave me the bed so I could sleep as best as possible.
Before heading to bed I went through my race packet. It was a pretty good assortment if goodies. Not a huge fan of the tech shirt but I liked the "Run for Boston" wristband. I just wish it was made for tiny arms like mine.
also laid out my outfit for the race before going to bed around 10pm. 
After about a dozen prayers to help me be able to sleep well and feel better (since I felt like I was getting a cold), it took me a little bit to fall asleep but I think as long as the few days before the race you get plenty of sleep then it's fine to lose a little sleep the night before. I got a good 5 1/2 hours before waking up at 4:30am... 

Happy Fitnessing!